Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Highway of Life

In the photo I took last September, this highway in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado curves off in the distance and we're not sure what might be around the corner.  The view of golden Aspens and green pine is beautiful on this stretch of road, but what lies ahead?

 My grandsons love to sing, "Life is a Highway / I wanna ride it all night long."  The song by Rascal Flatts is quite catchy.  It's also quite true.  Life IS a highway.  God describes it as a road or path in numerous scripture verses. 

Psalm 119 is all about walking the right path in life:  "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free" v. 32 /    "Direct me in the path of your commands for there I find delight" v. 35 /     "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts" v 45 /     "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" v 105 /       "Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me" v 133 /

On this Highway called Life, there are times when, yes, we might ride all night long, enjoying the stars and the soft moonlight.  There are other times when we're forced to walk -- or even crawl along that asphalt surface and, as the song says, "the road's so rough."  There are the good times and there are the bad times, but no matter what -- through all the times, God is right there with us -- above us, below us and all around us, and if you're a Christian, He's within you as well.

I like the Psalm written long ago by a young boy who would one day be a king.  That young shepherd David knew the Great Shepherd who leads us along the highway of life and he wrote, "...He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me...Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

The Great Shepherd -- now, that's a driver I can trust to steer me safely in the right direction as we ride along this Highway of Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --