Thursday, April 15, 2021

New Growth

 


NEW GROWTH

The end of March, I noticed fresh pale green new growth popping up on each stem of the aucuba bush in my backyard.  I watched as week by week tiny leaves unfurled and poked their way further out of the stem - until they became the fresh young leaves pictured below -


There's something about fresh leaves that are so tender, beautiful and exciting.  They hold the promise of spring and new life.  As soon as I saw the first pop of new growth appear, I thought -- I want new growth in my life as well.  When the Japanese Aucuba puts out its new leaves, it grows in circumference.  That's definitely not what I'm seeking.  I've had far too much of that sort of growth in the past couple years!

Of course, I'm referring to spiritual growth. When Paul wrote to the Thessalonians, he said, "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other," 1:3.  Now, that's the kind of growth I'm talking about!

The writer of Hebrews says it well, pointing out the importance of growth in the life of a Christian -- and he warns that some Christians never grow.  "For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.  For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe.  But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil," 5:12-14.

We all know new Christians need to grow by studying God's Word, listening to good teachers, pondering and praying, but what about those who have been saved for years and decades?  How many are still being bottle-fed?  If my aucuba bush did not put out a new growth of leaves each spring, the bush would become tired, losing old leaves and eventually shrinking in size.  

Remember what we said about new growth?  It's beautiful and exciting!  A life that's growing in the knowledge of the Lord and in relationship with the Almighty Creator of us all -- now that is beautiful and exciting!  Paul wrote to Timothy, telling him:  "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth," 2:15.  

I have a dear friend named Myrtle.  She is 92 years old and continues to grow in the Lord every year of her life.  She gets excited when she learns new things about the Lord and His creation, and the work she continues to do for the Lord is fresh and beautiful to see.  She is an inspiration!  I want to continue growing - putting out those fresh young tender leaves of new growth until the day I die or fly up to heaven in the Rapture.  There is still so much wonder of God to learn about!  How exciting!

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  To Him be the glory both now and forever.  Amen," 2 Peter 3:18.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --