Friday, July 24, 2020

Thirty Years and Counting



THIRTY YEARS & COUNTING

This past week I was trying to figure out what year I began writing.  After a bit of digging, I discovered that this is the 30-year mark -- an anniversary!  So, I started looking back over my "writing history" and was happy that I didn't give up during those many years filled with rejection letters.  This has been a wonderful - and eventful journey.  Let me share a brief summary of the past 30-years.

The picture above is an early computer that I used as a Word Processor.  If you're under fifty, you're probably saying, "Whaaaat??"  At the time, our PC did not have internet service and was basically a typewriter on steroids.  It was an amazing machine compared to the simple typewriter, which I'd always used before.  With this machine, you no longer had to use carbon paper to make a copy and you no longer had to start over each time you needed to add or delete a sentence or move a paragraph.  And - wonder of wonders, you no longer had to carefully erase your typos.  These features were new to me, but were life-changing wonders that made writing a manuscript infinitely easier.

It was 1990, and I felt a need to do something creative.  I decided I would try to write a novel.  I'd always loved to read and had a pretty good imagination, so this seemed like a good option.  Each day after my husband and three kids left for work and school, I spent part of the day writing.  I called the story, Island Charm.  I kept my project secret until I was confident that I'd be able to complete it.  I didn't want to be one of those people who begin writing a book and never finish it.


The picture shows me with my daughters in 1990, for my 44th birthday, the year I began writing (I don't know how I rated two birthday cakes that year - yum!!).  After I'd written about 25 pages of the novel, I let my 15-year old daughter Holly read it.  She loved it and she was so proud of what I was doing.  Every day she came home from school eager to see what I'd written that day.  It encouraged me to keep plugging along.  Each morning when I got up, I was excited to go upstairs to the word processor and add to the story of David and Valerie, who were having some ups and downs in their relationship.  It was fun -- and best of all, it gave me that creative outlet I needed.  About half-way through the manuscript, I revealed my secret project to the rest of the family, because I finally had the confidence I would be able to finish it -- and I did.  I was very proud of that first novel and I still think it's a good story (:

The writing bug had bitten and I continued to write, even though I didn't get anything published for five long years.  During that time, I wrote three more novels (which amazes me, as I look back), short stories and essays.  I sent query letters to well over a hundred places and received that many rejection letters.  There were times I became discouraged, but, I kept writing, kept studying about writing, and kept learning how to write better.

Finally, in 1995, my first piece, The Gift, was published in a small newspaper in Florida (no payment).  I had worked so hard and so long for that, when I saw the article in print, I burst into tears.  It was a story about adopting our son Nathan and that story meant a lot to me.  That same year, I had a couple more things accepted by magazines, which was exciting - and I kept on writing and kept on sending my stuff out.

1996 was the year things opened up for me.  I had two magazine articles accepted - and actually got paid a small amount for them - woo-hoo!!  I also began writing newspaper articles for the Times and ended the year with 36 newspaper articles to my name!

In 1997, I had pieces in three more magazines, and wrote a whopping 50 newspaper articles for both the Times and the Virginian-Pilot, a couple of them cover stories for the Pilot.  That year, one of my biggest "claims to fame" was a story in the best-selling Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul.  They printed The Gift, the same story that was my first ever published piece in that Florida newspaper.  I was thrilled!  And - I earned my biggest career check of $300 for one piece.



I continued writing newspaper articles until 2003 when I decided to change direction.  Writing for the newspapers was a great training ground for me, and I really enjoyed interviewing hundreds of interesting people for the articles I wrote.  It not only taught me how to write better, it also built up my confidence in meeting and conversing with all kinds of people.  I am so thankful for all the opportunities I had during those years.  I'm also thankful for the support of my husband and family during this whole journey.

I continued writing a few articles a year for various magazines and trying to get my books published (I'd written four novels earlier).  I was never able to get an acceptance with a traditional publisher, so when self-publishing became an option, I polished up Ivory & Ice, and published it in 2013.  In 2015, I published three more of the novels I'd written way back in the early 90s.  At last, I'd gotten my "labors of love" into book form and sitting on my shelf.  That's been a great feeling and a dream come true!

For the past five years, I've been writing inspirational books, a few short stories and some travel articles, and I've been enjoying it.  I'm so thankful I took the step back in 1990 to begin writing an entire novel -- and that, by the grace of God, I was able to finish it.  I feel so blessed to have experienced the many writing opportunities I've had, meeting so many great people along the way.  God willing, I hope to keep writing until I draw my last breath on this earth.

I borrow the chorus from the hymn, Blessed Assurance, written by Fanny Crosby in 1873, and claim it as my testimony as well:  "This is my story, this is my song / Praising my Savior all the day long."

I say to anyone who has a dream, go for it!  Do the work, keep plugging at it, and enjoy the scenery along the way.  God has given each of us talents, abilities, dreams and purpose.  Let's make the most of what He's given us and rejoice in the outcome.  To God be the glory!

"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ" Colossians 3:23-24.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --