Wednesday, January 29, 2014

God Shall Supply

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26.

What beautiful tail feathers this little bird wears!  My friend Becky, who I consider to be a bird expert, tells me this little guy I saw in a crape myrtle from my window is a Goldfinch who's usual bright color turns drab during the winter months.  So -- in the spring and summer, Mr. Goldfinch wears a lovely shade of yellow along with his princely tail feathers -- and then in winter, he sports a nice shade of beige-brown that complements the deep brown and white feathers perfectly.  Now, that's what a call a fine wardrobe -- and he doesn't have to spend a cent to wear it!

The way God clothes the birds of the air reminds me of that verse further down in Matthew 6 about the lilies of the field.  This verse could be as true of the birds when it says, "....They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these."

 God says, "For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.  I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine" Psalm 50:10-11.  It says here that God "knows" every bird, so this little guy in the picture is known by God and cared for by Him in every way.

If God loves and cares for this seemingly insignificant little bird, how much do you think He loves and cares for you? and me  Matthew said it beautifully, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" 10:29-31.

As we see these little birds flitting around outside, let's be reminded of God's love for all His creation -- and most especially for those of us who are created in His very image.  Paul reminds us in Philippians 4:19 of the wonderful promise, "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

I can't resist sharing this humorous quote I recently read:  "Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late."  My sentiments exactly!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --