Monday, January 6, 2014

Eyes to See



I read today's message in my devotional book, "Jesus Calling," by Sarah Young, this morning and it reminded me of these two photos I'd taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico last month.  Notice the difference in the lighting in these two pictures of the same walkway.  Here's what Sarah wrote as if Jesus was talking directly to us, "As you grow closer to Me, I open your eyes to see more and more of My Presence all around you.  Things that most people hardly notice, like shifting shades of sunlight, fill you with heart-bursting joy.  You have eyes that see and ears that hear, so proclaim My abiding Presence in the world."

Jesus has blessed me with eyes that see and ears that hear -- certainly not everything, but enough that I often am amazed by wonderful messages He reveals to me in the oddest places.  I do indeed want to proclaim His abiding Presence in the world by sharing the bits and pieces of things that might seem insignificant, but are so often evidence of His working in every little facet of our lives.

Shifting shades of sunlight are small things that happen regularly, but how often do we take notice and marvel at their simple beauty?  The first photo shows a peaceful, shady, cool-looking walkway overhung with a thick canopy of green leaves, while the second photo pops with movement.  Dark splotches spread across creamy pavers teasing the senses with sunlight and shadow; colors are brighter and brilliant blue sky can be seen peeking through the branches. 

I've tried to determine which photo I like better, but I like aspects of both.  Do you have a favorite?

James reminds us that "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (1:17).  This verse certainly captures the light and shifting shadow theme, but my take-home message from that truth and the photos of the pathway in two very different lights is how God's love for us doesn't change with our circumstances.  Some days our path may be in shadow and some days the sun might be glaringly-bright, but always God is there ready to direct our footsteps, ready to bless our efforts, and ready to comfort our hearts -- no matter what might darken our pathway. 

And, I believe He is eager and ready to send a good gift of wonder to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.   "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things...."  Psalms 119:17.

1 comment:

  1. We walked along there years ago. I like the second photo best, but the first one is really nice as well. I love the sun speckled walkway and the contrasts with the tree. It's true that God helps us to SEE, really see spiritual things. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --