Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Games, Rules and Life


    My 13-year old grandson Declan and I enjoy playing a game called Qwixx together.  The game involves throwing four colored dice and two white dice and requires skill in choosing which number combinations to use during your turn.  Whoever has the highest points when the game ends - wins.


     A few weeks ago, I was excited to get my highest score and win the game.  I must confess, however, that Declan was helpful to me as we played.  His mind is so quick and sharp that when I roll dice for my play, he tells me what my play options are before I've even had time to register the numbers on the die.  It's quite impressive!  I'm also pleased that he has such a kind spirit that he likes to be helpful.  Although he enjoys winning, kindness and helpfulness to others overrides competiveness in him -- and that thrills me!  Note: I do still make my own decisions as to which numbers to use and where (:
     There are rules to the game of Qwixx -- as there are in every game.  The creator of those games make the rules and expect players to follow those rules.  Indeed, if you're ever in a tournament for a game, the rules must be strictly followed.  However, when you play the game with friends, and if the players choose to change or tweek a rule or two, what's the harm?  
      There is a rule in Qwixx that requires the loss of five points if you're unable to use any of the numbers on your dice during your turn.  Declan and I don't like that rule, so we disregard it and enjoy the game more that way.

       And yes, I have a spiritual point to this little story.  If we looked at life as a game, then the Creator of that game would be the One to make the rules and the players must follow the rules to play the game properly.  
        God created life and every living thing.  He also made the rules for how this life should be lived to the fullest and in the right way.  If we consider life as a game, we need to know that the stakes are life and death high and the rules must be followed to win.
        The thing is, we cannot win this game without help -- it's beyond our capabilities.  No one is that good -- we all fall short.  The good news is that there is One who will make us a winner if we choose Him as our Champion.
         In fact, choosing Him is the only way to win.  We're told in the important book that tells us all about life and the rules for right living, the Holy Bible:  "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me," John 14:6. 
         People change and tweak the rules of life constantly, but there is one rule that is unchangeable -- there is only one way to win in life and that is through the One who gave His own life for you and me.  He paid the price for our shortfall (our sin) and He is the supreme Winner Who offers life eternal for everyone who will accept His offer. 
         I'd say that is an offer too good to refuse!  And the amazing thing is that this gift is totally free!  Romans 6:23 says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."   
         Don't risk losing it all by refusinig to accept this gift!  It's a win-win.  Not only do you have a guaranteed spot in Heaven some day, but you also have a much better life while you're still on the earth.  Accepting Jesus as Savior means you have access to peace and joy that you never imagined; power through the indwelling Holy Spirit, and hope that makes every day brighter.  
           Choose to win!

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory
 through our Lord Jesus Christ," 
1 Corinthians 15:57


          
        



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --