Friday, June 23, 2023

Book Review - Jesus Calling


Book Review -- Jesus Calling
 
I began using Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, as a morning devotional back in 2010.  I've continued to use it over and over again every year except for one.  The Christmas of 2017, my daughter Sara gave me the daily devotional, New Morning Mercies, by Paul David Tripp, which was a blessing as I read it throughout 2018.  But the next year, back to Jesus Calling, which has never grown stale for me.  

The writer, Sarah Young, is a seeker of God.  When she sought to hear from Him, He began speaking to her heart and she began writing down His messages.  She said, "God...guides our minds as we think things out in His presence."  In this book, Sarah shares God's Words as if they were written to each of us personally.  

One of the things I like in this particular edition is the space on the lower half of the page where I can write my own feelings about that particular message from Jesus.  It's interesting to see the difference in my attitude from year to year, or in some cases, how there has been little change.


Each day's entry answers a need, offers a challenge and/or gives encouragement.  Sometimes, we're shown something we never thought about in that light.  It's actually amazing how God seems to tailor each day's devotion to the needs of that day.

Here are a few of my favorite lines, to be read as if Jesus is speaking them to you:  
---"You are My beloved child, I chose you before the foundation of the world, to walk with Me along paths designed uniquely for you."
---"You need a buffer zone of silence around you in order to focus on things that are unseen...The curse of this age is overstimulation of the senses, which blocks out awareness of the unseen world."
---"I am all around you, like a cocoon of Light. My Presence with you is a promise, independent of your awareness of Me."

This book has been a great blessing to me and I highly recommend it to you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --