Monday, June 12, 2023

Book Review -- Heaven


BOOK REVIEW - HEAVEN BOOKS, by Randy Alcorn

     My previous blog post on "Books" was a nice introduction for a series of book reviews I'm doing.  My first review features three books by Randy Alcorn.  Each of these books have been a huge blessing in my life and I encourage you to read them.  They will change your outlook on Heaven -- for the better!

     The book pictured above was given to my husband and I by a dear brother in Christ in our church (thank you, my friend!).  I had previously recommended to him another book by Randy Alcorn, entitled, "In Light of Eternity."  When he read it, he was deeply impressed by the amazing truths in that book and he promptly purchased this other book by that author and then shared it with us.  We've all been so blessed by these two books and I want to encourage you to read them as well.


---"50 Days of Heaven," contains 50 daily devotionals about Heaven that will introduce new ways of looking at Heaven -- all completely Biblical.  Here's a blurb from the book, "If you've always thought of Heaven as a realm of clouds, disembodied spirits, and eternal harp strumming, you're in for a wonderful surprise.  These thought-provoking meditations will forever change the way you think about the spectacular new universe that awaits us: new heavens and a New Earth, where Jesus will be the cosmic center, and joy will be the air we breathe."  
          Just this morning, I read Day 14 and was blown away by the wonder of Heaven.  Here's the note I wrote on the page, "I am overwhelmed by the beauty and truth in this chapter.  I weep as this truth resonates deep within my soul!"

---"In Light of Eternity."  You might think these books would be repetitious of one another, but they are very different in their thrust, even though Heaven is always seen in a similarly wonderful light.  This book focuses on how we should be living in the world today to be ready for our eternity in Heaven.  We've all read in scripture that God will be giving out rewards in Heaven and how we need to lay up "treasures in Heaven where moth and rust do not corrupt."  But, how seriously are we living in that light?  This book will explain, challenge and encourage you in your walk here on earth.  
        Here's what Randy wrote, "The greatest weakness of the western church today is arguably our failure to think of the long tomorrow - to take seriously the reality that heaven is our home.  Out of this springs our love affair with this world and our failure to live now in light of eternity.  To derail us, all Satan needs to do is minimize our passion for two things - the person of God and the place of God."
       Randy writes, "Our lives on earth are a training course to get us ready for heaven.  It's not just that God is preparing a place for us.  It's that he's preparing us for that place."  After reading this book, I do see eternity in a different light and I realize how important our preparation here on earth is -- after all, I believe that's one of the reasons He leaves us here after we're saved.


----"Heaven" - a workbook:  This book was published in 2006 and I have done the study twice.  I believe this book is out of print, but I've been able to purchase several of them on thriftbooks.com.  I just checked and thriftbooks had 10 copies for $5.79 each -- a bargain.  This is a fantastic book that you can read without even filling in the few questions in each chapter.  Here's what Randy writes in the introduction, "In this book we'll see an exciting yet strangely neglected truth -- that God never gave up on His original plan for human beings to dwell on earth.  In fact, the climax of history will be the creation of New Heavens and a New Earth."  He goes on to write, "I want us to be so excited about Heaven that we will have maximum effectiveness in this present world."
      I cannot stress enough the great value this book will have on your life!  It's my very favorite book on Heaven!  Read it and find truth and hope that you never imagined.  It's that good!!

There are some great songs about Heaven.  A recent song by Big Daddy Weave is called, "Heaven Changes Everything," and indeed it truly does.  Here are a few lines from that song:

These tears would just be tears fallin' down my face
And this hurt would just be hurt with no healing on the way
Thank you, Jesus, Heaven changes everything.

A goodbye would be goodbye with no "I'll see you again,"
And when a life is over, that would simply be the end;
Thank you, Jesus, Heaven changes everything.

I can live for the day when my eyes will finally see
Every piece that was broken, restored and redeemed
Thank you, Jesus, Heaven changes everything.

Let's rejoice in the wonderful promise from God and His Son Jesus who has gone to prepare an amazing place for us to live with Him forever.  A place where those who have trusted Christ as Savior will live their fullest life in a beautiful world without end!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --