Friday, October 2, 2020

Truth


 TRUTH

The adorable little creature in the picture was at Crater Lake in Oregon when we visited that beautiful spot about ten years ago.  When I saw him, I was excited to see a chipmunk.  I've always thought Disney's Chip and Dale were so cute and there were no chipmunks anywhere near where we live, so I wanted to see a real, live chipmunk.  

The problem was -- this beautiful little guy was not a chipmunk as I originally thought he was.  He is actually a golden-mantled ground squirrel.  I thought -- a squirrel!!  We have plenty of squirrels scurrying around our yard.  I really wanted this to be a chipmunk.  I mean -- don't you think it looks like a chipmunk?

The fact is, I could have happily continued fooling myself and insisting that this was a chipmunk, because after all, I wanted it to be a chipmunk and I believed it was a chipmunk.  Or I could accept the truth that he is actually a squirrel.  My belief would not affect what was true; it would only affect what I chose to believe.  I reluctantly accepted the truth -- and I still hope someday I'll see a chipmunk.

Whether we believe the little fellow in the picture is a squirrel or a chipmunk is of no real importance.  Whether we believe Jesus is just a good man or He's the Son of God and Savior of the World -- now, that is of utmost, life-and-death importance! 

Too many people believe that living a good life, being kind to others, helping the poor, obeying the laws and perhaps going to church, will be enough to get them into heaven.  Then, there are other people who don't even believe there is a heaven and hell, so that when they die, they just cease to exist.  The thing is, neither of these beliefs affect the truth of the matter one iota.  It does, however, affect their eternal destinations.

The Bible tells us, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free" John 8:32.  Here is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the two most important beliefs of all time:

--Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Savior of the World, who says, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me" John 14:6.

--There is a heaven and a hell, and you can only get to heaven by accepting Christ's payment for your sins, as the Bible says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast" Ephesians 2:8.

"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth" Psalm 145:18.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --