Thursday, November 1, 2018

Unity

UNITY

This morning while I was doing my Bible study, I noticed lots of bird activity at the bird feeders outside my window.  The picture above is from an earlier date, but there was similar activity this morning.  As I watched, a finch, chickadee, Carolina wren, female cardinal and tufted titmouse were all on the feeders at the same time.  I was struck by the thought that they were all flitting about in harmony as they were being fed by God through us (we provided the seed).  It was a pleasing sight.

It made me think how we, as Christians, gather together at our churches and are fed by God through the pastor who shares a message from God - and how important harmony is among the brethren (and sistern too).  Jesus prays in John 17:21 "that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent me."  I think such harmony among believers is a pleasing sight to our heavenly Father.

Indeed, in 1 John 3, the apostle tells us, "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren." Further in chapter 4, he admonishes, "And this commandment we have from Him; that he who loves God must love his brother also."

As I noticed the differences in each bird - size, color, personality - I thought how different each person within the body of Christ is, and how we need to show grace to one another in our differences, working together in unity of Spirit to accomplish God's work in our little corner of the world.  It's not always easy, but by God's grace, it can be done - has he not said so?  God's grace is amazing and it spreads across all manner of His creation.  "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God" Ephesians 2:8. 

While birds may sometimes feed together in harmony, there is no love among them for one another.  Love is a human trait and should most particularly be a Christian trait.  God doesn't just suggest we should love one another because it would be a good idea to do so.  He actually commands us to love one another and to live in unity.  Paul writes, "...keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" Ephesians 4:3. 

Thank you God for the love and grace you show us every day. Help us to show love and grace to others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --