Friday, May 24, 2013

Stress & Rest

Here is my beautiful granddaughter Kendall with her hair standing on end.  Static electricity from the sliding board somehow can cause hair to take off and fly.  She looks so cute!

Do you ever feel somedays that your hair is standing on end?  You're so stressed you feel like your whole body is going to fly off in different directions?  I think we probably all have days like that -- I sure do!  When I come to my senses, I realize it doesn't have to be this way.  Stress should be a reminder of how very much we need to turn things over to God.  Easier said than done in this DIY generation we live in.

Even in ancient times, stress was a factor.  Job said, "The churning inside me never stops; days of sufferng confront me" 30:27.  Of course, he had more to churn up about than most of us will ever have to endure -- thank the Lord!  Even so, we all have stress, but how we handle it is the question.  If we make turning to God our last resort, we're going to have a lot of "hair standing on end" kind of days.

Let's make our first response a visit to the throne of God, lay our stress and need at His feet, and walk away with that "peace that passes understanding."  In John 14:27, Jesus promises, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

When Kendall stepped away from the sliding board, the static disappeared and her hair rested against her head.  If we will just step away from our stress and turn our eyes toward Jesus, as the old hymn says, "the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace."  We too can know Rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --