Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Time

I recently received this old clock as part of my inheritance from my Mother's estate.  She had purchased the clock over 60 years ago from her uncle, who had had the clock for many years himself.  The clock is handsome and, no pun intended, has stood the test of time well.
 
Hearing the clock's pendulum tick back and forth with the seconds is a vivid reminder of the swift passage of time.  When chimes sound at the end of each hour, I'm reminded that an entire hour has just passed.  With 24 hours in each of our days, if we live to be 80 years old (which is no guarantee), we will have gone through 700,800 of them.  That might sound like a lot, but when I consider that at that rate, I only have 122,000 hours left, it doesn't sound like so much.  I think -- I better get busy using those remaining hours wisely.
 
Time is a fascinating subject.  I am so thankful that God is the great Controller of Time.  Of course, He Himself is timeless and lives in the realm called "eternity."  Although we can't fully understand the concept, He actually lives in the past, present and future all at once, because Time is not an issue with Him.
 
We, on the other hand, are constrained by Time every minute of every day as long as we live on this earth.  Everything within us is aware of the steady passing of Time -- the rhytmn of the earth, the seasons, our aging bodies -- all seek to imprison us in Time.  Yet - there is another dimension just beyond the fabric of our vision.  It is a dimension that is solid and real and timeless -- it's the eternity that God inhabits.
 
When we are within God's will, Time will pass for us at just the right pace.  When we are living in our own strength, Time zips by at an alarming rate - or, for some -- crawls by at a snail's pace.
 
So - the key to using the Time God has given us wisely, is to seek His path and His will throughout each day.  Then, God will give us just the right amount of Time we need to finish the work He created for us to do, and we can say as Jesus said in John 17:4:  "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do." 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --