Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Road Less Traveled


I'm fascinated by paths - they intrigue me and I want to see where they lead.  This pathway high on the volcanic cliffs on the island of Santorini, Greece, was no exception.  I had actually walked from the opening at the lower end of the path and was heading uphill when I turned around and took this picture.  What a delight to follow a path on the edge of this towering cliff.

Many verses in the Bible speak of paths.  Why do you think that is so?  I believe it's because our life is a journey, each of us following our own path each and every day of our lives.  Where do you think your path will lead today?

Robert Frost wrote, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  I don't know if Frost had a spiritual message in mind when he wrote that, but there is definitely a spiritual message within it. The road less-traveled would be the path of God.  Matthew wrote a somewhat similar message, "..For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" 7:13-14.

God wants to help us make the right decisions and follow the right paths in our lives.  When detours pop us, He is right there beside us, wanting to help us if we'll just let Him.  Don't try to forge a path on your own -- too often it leads through brambles -- or worse.  Although God doesn't promise a smooth pathway, He does promise to guide us over the rough spots and make it easier.  I need to learn this lesson just as much as anyone.

Join me in praying these verses to our loving Shepherd and Guide:  "Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it...Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way" Psalm 119:35 & 37.

1 comment:

  1. Testing to see if my comment will show up. So sorry if this feature has not been working correctly!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --