Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Needy People

This sculpture in Bend, Oregon (by Richard Beyer) shows a man who is staring despondantly into his empty wallet.  I'm trying to encourage him by placing a dollar bill inside (it didn't work).  This reminds me of what Sarah Young wrote in Jesus Calling:  "The world is a needy place; do not go there for sustenance." 

We are surrounded by people with needs -- often including our ownselves.  I sometimes begin my prayers, "Lord, you know we are such a needy people...."  Even when I seem to be doing okay, I still feel the weight of other's needs all around me.  They are never-ending and until the Lord returns, they will continue to be never-ending -- that's the nature of the beast when we live in a sinful world.

In spite of the sometimes crushing needs that surround us, God has promised to never leave us and to supply our needs and to give us peace.  Do we believe Him?  One of the things God wants most from us is our Trust.  That's often why He allows "need" in our lives to begin with -- to develop our Trust muscle, which must be exercised to grow strong.

God is also pleased when we show a caring heart to others who are in need.  After all, the second most important commandment is to "love your neighbor as yourself."  Young writes as if God is speaking to us, saying, "When you find your completeness in Me, you can help other people without using them to meet your own needs.  Live in the Light of My Presence, and your light will shine brightly into the lives of others."

In Matthew 11:28, Jesus said, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  In this day in which we live, the world and society around us seem so unsettled.  It is not a place we can go for sustenance, but Jesus made another promise in John 14:27 to bless our hearts:  "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --