Saturday, August 29, 2026

Travel with Us to Turkey

 


TRAVEL WITH US TO TURKEY

In October 2025, my sister Ava and I took a cruise that included a port stop in Kusadasi Turkey. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had the whole day to explore this exotic city along waterfront. We spent about 45 minutes wandering the grounds of this fascinating island with an ancient fort.  We walked across the causeway to get onto Pigeon island.  You can see a cruise ship behind the island -- it's not our ship, but that's where our Azamara ship was docked.


We walked all along the sidewalks you can see in the picture above, admiring the wonderful views of the sea and surrounding town.  There were monuments here and there, exotic trees, and the fortified walls surrounding this rugged island fort.  The large building is also a museum with interesting exhibits inside.  We had a guide who led us around -- rather led Ava, because I kind of went my own way, taking pictures and soaking in the surroundings.  She enjoys listening to guides - I like to do my own thing.


We really enjoyed our time at the Byzantine Castle/Fort on Pigeon Island (ca 13th century).  I wish I could have spent another hour there soaking in the beauty and going at a slower pace.  But, we had to go to a carpet store (it's always expected).  I always feel bad, because I'm not going to buy anything in these stores - even though their carpets are beautiful and finely made.  They costs thousands of dollars!


After viewing many beautiful carpets and drinking some delicious apple juice, we left the carpet store and walked into the "bazaar" area of shops and restaurants.  We also were able to go inside Kaleichi mosque - which was quite exciting.  It is the oldest mosque (ca 1618) in Turkey, built in classical Ottoman architecture.  There is a fountain with many spigots outside where the men must wash up before they come inside to worship.



We got to hear the chanting during their call to worship and it was very interesting.


One of the famous colorful stairs leading up to a higher level of the city.  If you lived here, you would get a workout every day you left your home.  Lots of motorcycles everywhere, although not as many as in Italy, which must be the motorcycle capital of Europe!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --