Saturday, September 14, 2024

Flight


    Larry and I enjoyed a week at the Outer Banks in North Carolina earlier this month.  We revisited the Aviation Memorial situated behind the Visitor's Center near the entrance to the Outer Banks.  This impressive memorial that celebrates the first 100 years of flight is tucked back in the trees and is a hidden gem I recommend.
    There is much of interest there, but I want to key in on a poem written by a young John Magee and give you my spiritual take on it.
   When I read the poem High Flight, written by a young man named John Gillespie Magee, Jr., I saw more than even what he intended within the descriptions of flying through the open space of sky. 
    John, who was a 19-year-old American serving in the Canadian Air Force as a Fighter Pilot and a wartime poet, was inspired to write this joyous poem by a flight he took in a Spitfire on August 18, 1941.  Sadly, John was killed in a plane crash just four months later on December 11 in England.  His poem went on to become what is considered the most famous aviation poem ever written. 
    Here is a picture of the engraved poem at the entrance to the memorial:


    After reading the poem, my mind immediately envisioned our perfected and glorified bodies flying freely through space once we are in Heaven.  Why would I imagine such a thing?
    It's because I believe we will be able to fly, just as John described in his poem, but without the need for an airplane.  Here's an excerpt from my book, "The Rapture -- Imagining the Day that Changes the World Forever."  I just added a new chapter to the book this week, it's entitled "Glimpsing the Wonders of Heaven."

    Here's what I wrote in the book: 
 ~My Take On This Brilliant Poem - 
       When I read this poem, I see the risen, perfected bodies of Christians flying through the sky, unfettered and free.  I see the “craft” the poet speaks of as being our resurrected bodies, unencumbered by earth and sin, perfected into the likeness of the resurrected Christ – who could walk through walls and transport from one location to another in the blink of an eye – as well as rise up through the sky to Heaven as His disciples watched.
      Jesus Christ walked on the earth for 40-days after He was resurrected following His death on the cross.  During that time, He ate food, talked and taught His followers, appeared and disappeared.  He even walked along the road to Emmaus for miles talking with two followers and then joined them for a meal.  As soon as they recognized that He was Jesus, “He vanished from their sight,” Luke 24:31.
      The Apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in Philippi, “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. / who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself,” Philippians 3:20-21.
      So, when we are raptured or resurrected from the grave, our bodies will become perfected with abilities like Christ’s own body.  We’ll have strength and abilities we’ve only dreamed of.  I believe that one of those wonders will be the ability to fly through the air, much like Jesus did when He ascended to Heaven.
     When you read this poem, imagine experiencing the joy and freedom of soaring across the beautiful blue sky with arms outspread, feeling the wind in your hair, rejoicing in the God who created and redeemed you.

     At the end of that chapter, I included this paragraph:    When the trumpet sounds announcing that Jesus is catching up His children to join Him in Heaven, we’ll experience our first flight of freedom.  In that moment, we’ll soar up into the sky to meet the Lord in the air.  And -- put out our hands "and touch the face of God.”

   "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" 1 Corinthians 15:55 KJV

 

    

 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of the rapture! I've always wanted to fly, and that's a flight I'm looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --