Saturday, May 20, 2023

Psalm 23


PSALM 23

      This watercolor was painted by Debbie Cunningham.  I’m not sure what her vision for the painting was, but when I saw it, I immediately thought of the “valley of the shadow of death” from Psalm 23.  There is something about that stark, skeletal tree and solitary path that brought the thought to my mind.

        Debbie passed through the “valley of the shadow of death” in the spring of 2021 as she lived with brain cancer and faced her impending earthly death.  The shadow of her mortality and disease must have looked a bit like that lonely, dark tree.  But, I also know that Debbie had a positive spirit about her journey because her Shepherd Jesus walked beside her and “restored her soul. 

      With the Psalmist, Debbie was able to say, “My cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life…”  Indeed, her cup did run over and she enjoyed a life well-lived and well-loved. 

      When Debbie’s time came to leave this life, I imagine her continuing down the path and slipping past the gate of death as she did on June 20, always with a view of green mountains in the distance, verdant with the hope of “something more.” 

       Psalm 23 ends with the promise of something much more: “And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”  What a beautiful ending to a life well-lived for God – a life that is truly just beginning!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --