Friday, December 30, 2022

God's Word Illustrated





God's Word Illustrated 

      One of the things I especially enjoy is illustrating God's Word through photos I've taken.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these photos comprise a lengthy chapter.  The photo above reminds me of Psalm 45:1:  "My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

           These first six photos were taken on a recent visit to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia.

    The sundial in Bruton Parish Churchyard reminds me of the amazing story of Hezekiah found in 2 Kings 20.  The king was sick unto death and he prayed to God for mercy.  Not only did God answer his prayer and add 15 years to his life, God also gave him a sign that what He said would come to pass.  "Then Isaiah said, 'This is the sign to you from the Lord, that the Lord will do the thing which He has spoken, shall the shadow go forward ten degrees or go backward ten degrees?'"  When Hezekiah requested it go backward, scripture says, "He brought the shadow ten degrees backward by which it had gone down on the sundial," (verses 9 & 11).

    "So we, Your people and sheep of Your pasture, will give You thanks forever; we will show forth Your praise to all generations," Psalm 79:13.

    "These things says He who is holy, He who is true, 'He who has the key of David. He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens.  I know your works,'" Revelation 3:7

This is a tasty-looking display in the dining room of the Governor's Palace.  It reminds me of two verses - one in the Old Testament from the well-known twenty-third Psalm where God supplies our needs:  "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies," verse 5.  And the second from the New Testament about John's vision of the future when he was told, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!'" Revelation 19:9.

     This display of colonial clothing hanging from pegs in the shop of the seamstress, reminds us of the need to be clothed in the proper garments.  "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience," Colossians 3:12 NIV.

    This final photo is my youngest granddaughter at Chrysler Museum in Norfolk,  She was delighted to find this tiny doorway at the entrance to the museum.  And I'm delighted that God opens doors when we need them opened:  "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened," Matthew 7:7-8.

                  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path," Psalm 119:105.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --