Thursday, June 30, 2022

Famous Quotes


       We're all familiar with many famous quotes from literature, movies and TV, and even the Holy Bible.  I mean who doesn't know what is probably being said in the picture above.  It didn't take Dorothy too long on the Yellow Brick Road before she was saying, "Uh, Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!"  
       My granddaughter Marisa played the part perfectly when our Children's Museum had a Wizard of Oz exhibit some years ago.
       
       I thought we could have some fun with a variety of famous quotes.  Some may be easy for you, while others might be difficult.  Test yourself on the famous quotes below and see how many you can answer correctly.  One point if you know who said it?  One point if you know which movie or book it comes from?  The answers are at the bottom of this post.  I'd love to know how many you get right (:

 1.  "Call me Ismael"
 2.  "You complete me."
 3.  "It was the best of the times, it was the worst of times."
 4.  "For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him."
 5.  "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
 6.  "I hate snakes!"
 7.  "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance."
 8.  "Who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
 9.  "Here's lookin' at you kid!"
10.  "Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far."
11.  "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
12.  "Entreat me not to leave you...Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God..."
13.  "Life is like a box of chocolates..."
14.  "Carpe Diem" - one of my favorite quotes!


And what very famous quote comes to mind with this picture?

      Hope you enjoyed taking this quiz.  Do you have any favorite quotes you'd like to share?  Let us know.  If you want to comment, be sure and click on the blog's name and you'll be taken to the site so that you can comment.  I'd love to hear from you!
      Answers are below:

 1.  spoken by the ship's boy Ismael in the intro to Moby Dick, by Herman Melville.
 2.  spoken by Renee Zellweger's character in movie "Jerry McGuire."
 3.  from Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens, describing the background of France at the beginning of the French Revolution.
 4.  spoken by Hannah in 1 Samuel 1:27, Holy Bible.
 5.  spoken by Ali MacGraw's character (Jennifer) in "Love Story."
 6.  spoken by Harrison Ford's character (Indiana Jones) in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
 7.  by author C.S. Lewis 
 8.  spoken by Mordecai, uncle of Queen Esther, in book of Esther 4:14.
 9.  spoken by Humphrey Bogart's character in movie "Casablanca."
10.  spoken by President Theodore Roosevelt
11.  spoken by Marlon Brando's character in "The Godfather," movie.
12.  spoken by Ruth to her mother-in-law Naomi, in book of Ruth 1:16.
13.  spoken by Tom Hanks character (Forrest Gump) in movie Forrest Gump.
14.  spoken by Robin Williams character in the movie "Dead Poets Society."
 
 And, of course, the famous quote with the picture of members of my family portraying characters from Star Wars is:  "May the Force be with you!"  While that phrase has a specific meaning speaking of the source of inner power in the movie, I like to twist it around and consider the true source of inner power which comes from Almighty God.  I say, "May the Force of the Holy Spirit's power be with you!"  Now, THAT'S real power!





 

1 comment:

  1. OK - love a good challenge. Although recognizing just about all of them I could only pull off 19 points out of the 30. For me, Cool Hand Luke - "what we have here is a failure to communicate." That was fun.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --