Friday, February 3, 2017

Bobbing at Sea

Bobbing at Sea

My favorite devotional book is "Jesus Calling," by Sarah Young.  As I read the February 1st page, I was nodding my head, "yes, so true!"  It starts with the truth:  "Follow Me one step at a time.  That is all I require of you.  In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world."

I wrote in my journal:  "I am touched as I read this precious reminder of God's gracious faithfulness.  I feel like a cork bobbing on the sea.  My life is good - far less complicated than most - and yet - I feel adrift in this moment."

Then, I began pondering my feelings in the face of my "good" life.  The thing is, so many needs of others swirl around me, it gets overwhelming.  The weight of things going on and the needs of others around me can be stifling.  Then I thanked God for His rich blessings toward me and prayed for Him to help me to live in the light of His loving presence - to stop looking around me and instead, look up to Him.

Amazing how a simple prayer and a difference in viewpoint can change the emotions so fully.  When I looked up, He helped me to glimpse the world around me from heaven's view.  Ah!  Now, that is the perspective that I need to keep in front of me.  Putting things into perspective (i.e. from heaven's view) in the era of craziness we live in will help keep us sane.  I felt peace seep into my entire body and a smile slipped across my lips unbidden.  My bobbing cork was stilled by the Master's hand and it feels so good!  I know He is in control of all that is happening around me, and I can rest in His loving grace to handle it all.

I wanted to share these thoughts with you today, because chances are, some of you may be experiencing some of these same feelings.  "Jesus loves me (and you), this I know!"

--Photo:  I snapped this photo of chunks of ice floating in Glacier Bay, Alaska.  They remind me of that cork I spoke of bobbing in the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --