Monday, August 12, 2013

Riches

I took this photo in the famous Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles in Paris, France.  The Hall is 233 feet long and has 17 great mirrors facing tall arched windows with crystal chandeliers, gilt trim, and elaborate paintings which make it a truly remarkable space.  It is a beautiful room and I'm so thankful I got to see it. 

For the people who once owned and lived in this palace, this exquisite room was a hallway they passed through going to and from their bedrooms to other rooms of the house (though I'd hardly call it a mere "house").  Louis XIV, who created the room, called himself the Sun King and he considered himself to be "all that" and more.  He died over 300 years ago.  I wonder what he is thinking today?  I will let Psalm 49 answer that question:

"Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him.  Though while he lived he counted himself blessed - and men praise you when you prosper - he will join the generation of his fathers, who will never see the light of life.  A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish."

Proverbs has some things to say about riches as well:  "Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife," 17:1 and "Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil" 15:16.

The wisdom of the Proverbs is surely shown in 30:8, where it is stated, "...give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."  And I might add, we should always, "Praise God from all blessings flow."

1 comment:

  1. I like this, Sandra! I like the way you let the question about Louis XIV hang out there and followed it up with Scripture. (Did you know he was married in Basque France?) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --