Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Trio of Sunsets



                  A TRIO OF SUNSETS

I think sunsets are one of God's most beautiful visual gifts.  Every sunset is different and the colors God paints across the sky each and every evening are incredible.  Sometimes the sunset is subtle, while other times it blazes with awe-inspiring magnificence, but each is unique and original.

I've chosen three different sunsets from my travels in the last two months to give you a quiz.  Which sunset is taking place in which location?  One is in the Outer Banks, one in Arizona, and another over Rhode Island.  I don't think it'll be too hard to figure out which is which (in fact, the top one is a definite "gimme") -- the answers are listed below.

I Googled, "where does the sunset get its color" and was given a scientific explanation mentioning such things as air molecules, wavelengths and scatterings.  I prefer to describe a sunset as I see it -- a wonder to behold in sparkling, clear gold or soft pink with hints of lavendar and purple, or silver and white with backgrounds of rich navy, or blazing with orange.  There are as many descriptions as there are sunsets.  And always, I am reminded of God whose love, creativity and joy in beauty made a world that includes a glorious sunset each and every day.  I can't help but grin from ear to ear as I consider such an amazing gift -- and it's just one of millions of gifts He offers to us during our lifetimes.

Ready for the answers to the quiz?

1.  The first silvery sunset is, of course, in Tucson, Arizona with three armless suguaro cactus standing in silhouette along the ridge.  I enjoyed a lovely four-day visit there in May. 

2.  The sun dips toward the Currituck Sound, darkening the clouds to navy with smudges of pink along their edges -- and a lovely gazebo painted black by the dimming light.  Our extended family enjoyed a week's stay in Duck, NC, in June.

3.  The gold sky created by the setting sun over Newport, Rhode Island, makes me think of the gold streets of heaven.  The color looks so pure and clear painted across the sky.  Larry and I enjoyed a port call in Newport in May for part of one day. 

Each time the sun sets, it signals the end of another day, which brings us one day closer to walking on those streets of gold.  But before that day comes, I'm going to enjoy every sunset I can feast my eyes on -- and I'm going to praise and thank God for every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --