Thursday, June 15, 2017

Signs

SIGNS
When we were in St. Petersburg, Russia, recently, we saw this sign as we walked along the sidewalk.  Although we couldn't possibly understand the written words on the sign, we immediately recognized the golden arches pictured above.  Everyone knows that the golden arches means hamburgers and French fries, etc. at McDonalds.

I started thinking, what are some other well-known signs that cause us to immediately know what is being referred to and offered - and how often do we know just what we're getting when we "make use" of what is being offered by that sign (i.e. go inside and purchase a hamburger)?


This was an interesting sign displayed at the entrance of a beautiful cathedral on our tour.  The sign's message appears so random.  Like - why single out chewing-gum and ice-cream as forbidden within the cathedral?  Does that mean that a soda and hamburger might be allowed?  I should think a sign saying, "no food or drink," as we see here in our country would be much more all-encompassing and preferable.  As we've often commented, they do things differently in foreign countries - hence, the term "foreign," at least to our way of doing things.


Then we have the road signs.  Oh, my!  If I had to depend on reading and following this road sign to get to my destination, I would be lost!  Why, they don't even use the same alphabet as we do!  Not to mention, what do those numbers mean??  Thankfully, we were riding in a van with a driver who knew the roads and knew just the right direction we needed to go to get us safely - not only to our ultimate destination (our home on the ship) -- but also to various meaningful stops along the way. 
 
 I'm sure you've begun seeing the spiritual messages behind these signs.
 
Because we are so familiar with McDonald's menu (having eaten there way too much!), we know exactly what the golden arches signifies and what it means to us personally.  When I see a representation of the cross of Christ, such as the one pictured below in a church in Brussels Belguim, I know just what it signifies and what it means to me personally -- no written words needed.  This particular one with the white drape represents our risen Lord who died on that dreadful, yet beloved cross to offer each of us free salvation from the wages of sin.  The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.  For me personally, it means that I'm redeemed and have a guaranteed spot in heaven when the need for it arises.  Praise God!


 You'll have to come up with your own spiritual message for the second picture -- I just think it's humorous, but the third photo about finding the right direction, now that's one we can understand.  If we had to depend on following the world's directions to a safe final destination, we would totally be lost!  The world's idea of finding redemption and heaven is as indecipherable (translate: "makes no sense") as that Russian road sign.

Jesus is the way, the truth and the light.  No man comes to the Father, but by Him.  Letting God "drive our van" (translate:  lead our life) is the best way to reach our final destination safely - and to make those various meaningful stops along the way better -- much, much better.  God promises His children, "Lo, I am with you always - even unto the ends of the earth."  I smile, thinking, that's the kind of driver I want maneuvering me through the pitfalls and rocky roads of this life.

When I can't understand what's written on those signs before my sometimes tear-filled eyes, He knows what every letter and punctuation mark means and He will get me through the obstacle course of life, eventually delivering me safely to my ultimate destination -- heaven.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --