Thursday, June 29, 2017

If The Shoe Fits...

If The Shoe Fits...

   There's an old saying, "If the shoe fits -- wear it."  As you can see, these shoes were not about to fit my size 7 foot.  Granted, they weren't made to fit anyone's foot, but I kinda think that's the point of the whole message.  There are some "shoes" in life that we as women try our hardest to fill, but its just not gonna happen.  Just like Cinderella's two wicked step-sisters trying to cram their big feet into that dainty glass slipper, some shoes will never fit.

    The key to avoiding pinched toes and walking comfortably through life with a spring to your step, is to find the correct size shoe that God created for your very unique feet.  These giant shoes I'm playing around with in the photo sit in front of a shoe store in the charming town of Rostock, Germany -- and I'm pretty sure they're not going anywhere. 

    I'm sure you've guessed this message goes beyond finding a correctly-fitting shoe.  Sometimes in life, we try to wear a shoe that is way too big for our feet.  In other words, we try to do too much, perhaps thinking some part of Wonder Woman or Supergirl is in our job description.  Have you ever tried to wear shoes that are too big?  It's a strain trying to keep them on your feet, and sometimes they cause you to trip.  Taking on too many responsibilities and trying to do too much can be downright exhausting -- and, it's been known to trip us up as well.

   God tells us that He has plans for us (Jeremiah 29) - plans that fit like a well-crafted shoe.  One of the things we are told to put on our feet is the "gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15) -- now that's a lovely shoe I'd like to put on every day.  If we walk in the light as He is in the light, His peace will spread over us, and the shoes of peace and purpose will fit just as He intended them to fit.

     I've always been a person who likes shoes and I have a 17-month old granddaughter who is following in my footsteps (literally - she tries to put on my shoes!).  My big shoe doesn't fit her anymore than her cute tiny shoe fits me.  In the same way, my responsibilities and purposes don't fit her anymore than the paces she's going through in life -- learning to talk and stop climbing on everything -- fit me.  I can talk, let me tell you!  And, climbing on tables is just not my thing anymore. 

     Find out what shoe God wants you to wear in life and that life will fit you so much better than trying to force your foot into a shoe -- or a life -- that is too big or too small.  "The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands" Psalm 138:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --