Thursday, October 20, 2016

Lead Me, O Lord

Lead Me, O Lord

As we begin our morning, the path of a new day spreads out before us.  What lies around the corner?  What waits along the sides of our pathway?  Should we plunge ahead, or walk through the jungle of this world more slowly - trusting God to guide our way?

These are questions to consider.  Moses considered these questions as he felt the weight of responsibility God had given him in leading the nation of Israel through the desert.  Can you imagine such a job being thrust upon you?  Neither could Moses.  During this dilemma of what to do and which way to go, Moses asked God, "Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in your sight."

The next request of Moses, however, is the one that really impresses me.  He said, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here" Exodus 33:15.  I love that he said that.  Sometimes, we think we know the best way to do a thing, and we don't bother to ask God if, indeed, it IS the best path we should be taking.

I'm a "planner," and I plan for this and for that, making lists, working on my agenda.  I think my ideas and plans sound good and logical, but if they are not bathed in prayer and done in the will of God, I may be walking down that path without the power of the Holy Spirit's "Okay" on the thing, and I really don't want that.  Sometimes, I come to a jarring stop and realize, this is my plan, not God's.  I apologize to Him for my impulsiveness and pray Moses' prayer -- "O Lord, if You are not in this thing and Your Presence doesn't go before me in it, forgive me and keep me from stepping forth without You in it.  Guide me, O thou great Jehovah!"

There -- that's how we should approach our day -- asking God the way to go.  We really don't want to go there if God is not in it.  Two of my favorite verses in God's Word are found in Proverbs.  They are words to live by:  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths" 3:5-6.


Photo:  The path in the photo above is in Animal Kingdom at Disney World where my husband and I enjoyed a day of wandering recently.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --