Saturday, October 22, 2016

Be Aware & Beware!


Be Aware & Beware!
As we walked along the jungle pathway in Animal Kingdom at Disney World, I saw this sign near the Tiger enclosure.  The sign told us to "Be aware" that tigers were nearby.  Another sign (below), told us to "Beware" of the presence of tigers and to stay on the path for safety.
 
 

While these signs are meant to add color and interest to a theme-park adventure, there was no real danger to visitors of Animal Kingdom.  Instead, we were able to admire the beautiful Sumerian tigers on display inside their well-fortified enclosure.


 
The two signs, however, immediately made me think of something far more sinister.  They reminded me of the fearsome beast that prowls the jungle paths of our lives in this world.  Scripture warns us, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.  Resist him, steadfast in the faith..." 1 Peter 5:8-9.
 
Although the verse speaks of a "lion," a tiger is every bit as fearsome.  We can easily overlay these two signs across the paths of our lives and consider the warnings.  We should be aware and never forget that "tigers are frequently encountered in the ruins ahead," which translates to, "Satan is frequently encountered on your pathway ahead."  He's there, just waiting to pounce, and he is every bit as fierce and merciless as that tiger pictured above.
 
The second sign offers a way of safety to the traveler:  "...you will be very safe by walking on the well-traveled path," which translates to, "You will be very safe by walking on the well-protected path set forth by God in His Word."  God lovingly offers us a path of safety, and if we choose that path, He promises to walk with us along the way.  Now, that's the kind of safety I'm looking for in a jungle teeming with tigers!
 
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me..." Psalm 23.
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --