Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Power of "P" Words

The Power of "P" Words 

It struck me recently how many of the most Powerful words (starting with the word "Powerful") in the Christian life begin with the letter "P."  I wondered where I might find a picture of the letter P and then I remembered a strange painting I'd seen recently at the Crocker Museum in Sacramento, California.  The painting Moving Out, painted by Julie Heffernan in 2010, features all sorts of thought-provoking elements, and it just happens to have the letter P hanging by a rope, dangling in space.  I'm simply going to key in on the one letter for this post.  We shall Ponder the remainder of the painting at a later date.  Note:  I've capitalized each featured P word for emphasis.

Often when I Pray, I ask for Peace, Power to live for Christ and to fulfill His Purpose, and I Praise Him for all He is and all He does.  We might say that's Prayer in a nutshell.  Paul wrote to the Ephesians, saying, "With all Prayer and Petition Pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all Perseverance and Petition for all the saints, and Pray on my behalf...." 6:18-19.

Here are a few more admonitions from Paul in that chapter:  Put on the full armor of God / Our struggles are against the Powers of darkness /  We should cover our feet with the Preparation of the gospel of Peace / and above all else - Pray.

The most Powerful word in the Christian vocabulary is Pray.  Here's what Priscilla Shirer wrote in her latest Bible study, The Armor of God:  "Unless Prayer is a vital and thriving part of our life, you will never achieve spiritual victory... Prayer is the connective tissue between you and heavenly places.... Without Prayer - I say it again - your armor cannot, will not, be infused with the Power that only God's Spirit can give."

Who knew the letter P could be so Popular and Precious, so Poignant and Persuasive, so Productive in the Power-struggle for the Planet.  And Power-struggle it is -- between the Prince of darkness and the Prince of Peace.  As People of God, let us Persevere in that Powerful Privilege of Prayer. 

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --