Saturday, November 29, 2014

Our Little Lights



These pretty little votive candles were burning brightly in two different churches we visited in Salzburg, Austria.  The red candles were in the Salzburg Cathedral and the white candles in St. Peter's Church.  In both cases, worshipers lit the candles to offer a specific prayer for someone or some need.  This reminds me how each us as Christians are to be lights in a dark world as a testimony of our faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Jesus said it plainly, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:16.

I have one of these little votive battery-powered lights with a switch on the bottom.  My little grandkids love it when I take them into our big, dark closet, flick on the small light, and sing the song, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine..."  Then, they put their hand over top of the candle and the light grows very dim as we sing, "Hide it under a bushel, No!, I'm going to let it shine...."  Of course, they love to "blow" out the candle (as they blow, I quickly flick the switch on the bottom and we're plunged into darkness), as we sing, "Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm going to let it shine...." 

It's a little scary to kids to be in a dark closet, so I quickly flick the candle back on after they "blow" it out and once again our light shines for Jesus.  What a reminder of the importance for our Christian light to stay lit for Jesus in this dark world in which we live.

I'm very active in a church with many fellow-Christians.  My entire family are also Christians (Praise God!).  These are the people I spend most of my time with -- look again at the pictures.  I feel like I am one of those votive candles, living with my candle lit -- in the midst of all these warmly flickering candles.  Although my candle may sputter and flicker low at times, praise God it has not gone out entirely.  And -- I am a Christian surrounded by other Christians (for the most part).  I feel very blessed.

At the same time, there is a vast dark world beyond my doorstep.  I want to be a light shining in darkness to someone.  As Sandi Patti sings, I want to be a "candle lighting someone home" -- home being the loving, saving arms of Jesus Christ. 

I love being surrounded by other warm, brightly glowing candles, but I pray that God will give me opportunity and brightness of my own candle that I might be a beacon for Him - to bring Him glory and to guide someone to the warmth and brightness that He offers to the whole world.

"...For the Lord will be your everlasting light..."  Isaiah 60:20.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I agree, we are to let our light shine. Someone once said that everywhere we go, everyone we meet is literally dying for one drop of kindness. Don't know how accurate that is, but surely there is some truth. I suppose we need to keep alert for those opportunities that are all around us daily.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --