Thursday, February 20, 2014

Our Rock of Salvation

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help
in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging" Psalm 46:1-3
 
I'm quite drawn to beautiful and/or unique stained glass.  As soon as I saw this brilliant window, I knew I'd never seen one quite like it and I could see it has a vivid spiritual message.  This beautiful glass graces a window in the First Protestant Evangelical and Reformed Church in New Braunfels, Texas.  The handsome white stone church building was erected in 1875.

I see a number of elements in this picture that speak to my own heart.  Sometimes I feel I'm adrift on a storm-tossed sea and I'm about to go down for the count.  This young woman has just survived a shipwreck as evidenced by the split mast off to her left.  The crashing waves are white-capped and powerful, but her grip on the Rock has lifted her from the dashing waves and she suddenly finds herself on a small rocky shelf of safety.

Notice that this Rock of safety stands apart from the rocky shoreline of the land just beyond.  What Jesus offers is not a part of the world system.  He says, "Peace, I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" John 14:27.  God offers us peace in spite of our circumstances -- peace in the midst of pain.

While there are many things I could say about Jesus being our Rock, the one I want to focus on is that this rock is in the shape of a cross and it is the cross of Christ that is the Rock we need to cling to for our eternal salvation.  Jesus said, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes" Mark 12:10.  As the song says, "Jesus is the rock of our salvation..."

The red cape we see draped under the woman's body, I believe, represents the blood of Christ which flowed from the cross and even now offers us salvation and protection.  Paul said, "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace" Ephesians 1:7.

I'm so thankful God offers us hope and peace and protection and salvation.  I'm so thankful that He is our rock in the midst of this raging sea we call life.  "Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress" Psalm 71:3.



2 comments:

  1. A lovely, encouraging post, Sandra! I remind myself of this so many times when life seems to drown me in its waves. He truly is our Rock and shelter from every storm. Blessings :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joy. God is soooo good!! Hope you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --