Thursday, December 5, 2013

Grand Turk


Because Grand Turk was my favorite port, I can't just let it go with one post.  The top photo was taken along the shoreline in Cockburn Town, where Larry and I wandered around for 2-1/2 hours.  While there, we enjoyed their small, but informative museum.  It's a very small town, but picturesque and "real," meaning it's not commercialized as are so many Caribbean locations.
 
The second photo shows our ship (the smaller Holland Westerdam) moored beside it's bigger Carnival sister.  The pier was built by Carnival Cruise line at one end of the small island so they could bring cruisers to this beautiful place.  Most of the visitors remain at the lovely beach and shopping village, but they miss out by not visiting the town, which we very much enjoyed.
 
Only eight of the 40 islands in the Turk and Cacaos chain are inhabited.  One of the things I found so fascinating about Grand Turk is that it is separated from its related islands by a 22-mile wide body of water called the Columbus Passage (yes, named after our friend, Chris).  The fascinating thing is the depth of the water in that passage -- after leveling off for about 40 feet, it drops suddenly and dramatically to 7,000 feet deep!  That's nearly 1-1/2 miles.  Needless to say, we didn't venture past the shallows near the shoreline.
 
When I think of how deep the oceans are -- many of which have never had their depths plumbed, it reminds me of the depths in God's Word.  I love studying the Bible and have marveled time and again that even a story I've heard dozens of times can have new depths revealed as I study it more deeply.  Even as I enjoy indepth Bible study, I realize I'm only scratching the surface of what God has written in His Word.  Like those divers who descend a few thousand feet into the depths, there is still so much more to be discovered. 
 
"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable His judgments, and His paths beyond tracing out!  Who has known the mind of the Lord?  Or who has been His counselor?  Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?  For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.  To Him be the glory forever!  Amen"  Romans 11:33-36.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts --