Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sister Friends



When I saw these two iguanas in a zoo in Tucson, Arizona, I immediately thought about the old song, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother."  Of course, I have to change that to "She ain't heavy, she's my sister."

   There's no doubt we all look a whole lot prettier than these two rugged looking individuals, but we can learn a lot from their postures.   I think it's so sweet that the top iguana has a protective arm and hand around her friend and she seems to be vigilently protecting her in what might be a weak moment.  I think the lower iguana looks a bit peaked, as my Mother used to say (which translates, weak-eyed and unwell).  The iguana on top has a very determined look on her face and I sure wouldn't want to cross her!

 I'm reminded of the verse in Proverbs:  "A friend loves at all times, and a brother/sister  is born for adversity" Proverbs 17:17.  
 
I also like the verse about how a friend can help a friend be the best she can be.  In Proverbs it says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man/woman sharpens another" Proverbs 27:18.   As we pray for one another and for our sisters in Christ, we are able to uphold, encourage, and even vigilently protect our sister friend in what might be a weak moment.   We can help keep each other sharp and encouraged in the power of the Holy Spirit.

 Friends are a blessing from God.  Let's remember the posture of our little iguana friend and seek to uphold our sisters in prayer and encouragement. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I found the iguana picture hilarious! What a picture for your post on friendship! :o) Just great! I love that verse about iron sharpening iron. I have several friends who have done that for me. They are REAL friends, not the ones that hang around when everything is rosy and who speak silly ear-pleasing platitudes. I am thankful for those godly women who have impacted my life in that way. Also, thankful for my own sister--and hoping WE don't look like your iguanas!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts --